[Sls-rfm] Fw: DDOR PN - Input (activties and proposed plan)

Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int Enrico.Vassallo at esa.int
Tue Nov 7 10:57:34 UTC 2017

For discussion this afternoon.

Enrico
----- Forwarded by Enrico Vassallo/esoc/ESA on 07/11/2017 11:57 -----

From:   Mattia Mercolino/esoc/ESA
To:     Enrico Vassallo/esoc/ESA at ESA
Cc:     "James.S.Border at jpl.nasa.gov (335D) Border"
<James.S.Border at jpl.nasa.gov>, takeuchi at isas.jaxa.jp
Date:   07/11/2017 11:05
Subject:        DDOR PN - Input (activties and proposed plan)

Enrico,

As mentioned earlier, we would propose the following activities/plan for
the inclusion of DDOR PN signal specs in the RF&Mod BB..

Rationale
We would like to review the current DDOR signal structure spec and add the
possibility of using a PN code to spread the DOR tone.
We think that this should go in your RF&MOd book rather than in a separate
DDOR book.

The reason for this update would be twofold
1) This technique allows to reduce one of the biggest contribution to the
current DDOR error budget (i.e. the so-called phase ripple induced error
between an observation done on a wideband channel when recording a quasar
signal and a narrow channel when recording a S/C tone)
2) By doing this we would also heavily limit the potential interference
caused by DOR tones

We are updating the DDOR GB to explain more in depth this rationale.

Proposed Plan
Spring 2018 - Presentation of first issue of WB PN DDOR and joint RF&DDOR
WG discussion
Fall 2018 - Second issue of  WB PN DDOR and joint RF&DDOR WG discussion
Spring 2019 - Presentation of Red Book covering revised 2.5.6B and joint
RF&DDOR WG discussion
Fall 2019 - Presentation of final Red Book covering revised 2.5.6B and
joint RF&DDOR WG discussion --> Resolution for Agency Review

Let us discuss the rational and plan this afternoon

Regards,

Mattia