[Sls-ngu] Consideration of data compression as a topic for discussion in NGU meeting

Kazz, Greg J (313B) greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 28 18:57:02 EDT 2010

All,

Please let me know if you would be interested in having a discussion on the use of data compression as a technique towards conserving bandwidth on the uplink.
In other words, do you think compression is likely to be a big payoff and manageable, and worthy of inclusion in a CCSDS NGU standard, etc. ?

A current example of using compression on the uplink is the NASA Mars Science Laboratory Project which is tentatively planning to use one of the Lempel Ziv (LZ) encoders for compressing flight software loads.

Data compression could be another technique that the NGU WG should consider for standardization for NGU applications. Considering that the CCSDS Convolutional Code can approximately provide about a 5 db gain, and the LDPC about 7 db.  if we can get 3+ db from compression  it might be a worthwhile contender for consideration.

So this additional work could manifest itself by involving agency collaboration on studying the various compression candidates for use on the uplink. If that is the case, then NGU would need support from the MHDC WG in supporting such a study.

Some of the question we could consider asking ourselves are:

(1) Can we come up with uplink data sets that are good examples of the type of uplink data that requires compression and that compresses well?
(2) How much improvement might we get from different variations of compression algorithms on the data types that are worth studying ?
(3) Have we convinced ourselves that the NGU data volume problem is significant enough in the first place to warrant compression ?
(4) Is 2:1 lossless compression our goal ?
(5) What are the candidate compression algorithms and what are the metrics to judge them by ?
(6) I don't know how much interest there is from other CCSDS member agencies on this topic - please let me know.

If I get positive feedback from member agencies on this survey, then I will pass this along to the MHDC WG to see if we can start up an email dialog with them before the London meeting and also schedule some time in London if necessary to meet with them.

Best regards,

Greg Kazz
Chairman CCSDS NGU WG