[Sls-mhdc] Please review revised White Book for CCSDS-123.0-B-2 (MHDC-A-1711-4)

Kiely, Aaron B (332B) aaron.b.kiely at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 28 21:52:09 UTC 2018

Dear Working Group,

I have uploaded to the CWE a revised draft of the White Book for CCSDS-123.0-B-2:
	CWE Private / 123.1-B / WhiteBook / 123x0w2-2018.02.28.{pdf, doc}

I have used “notes” to call attention to all of the changes since the previous major revision in November, apart from inconsequential small changes in wording, typo fixes, etc.

I thank Ian, Mark, and new WG member Brenton Sundlie, from University of Dayton Research Institute, for their careful reading of the White Book. They caught some minor issues (that would have affected things like backwards compatibility) that have now been fixed.

The latest draft also includes new low-entropy component codes and flush tables (Annex F). These tables are also available in ASCII format on the CWE at:
	CWE Private / 123.1-B / CodeTableDesign-2018.Jan.zip

This completes part (a) of action item MHDC-A-1711-4. The next step is (b) final review by the working group and (c) delivery to Area Director and Editor. We had hoped to complete (b) by March 9, and (c) by March 23, so that the document could be submitted in advance of the Spring Meeting (with the idea that we might get into the Editor’s queue ahead of documents that might be delivered at or shortly after the Spring Meeting).

** Please let me know if you are able to conduct a final review and deliver your comments to me by March 16 (and if not, please suggest a date that works for you). I’m still hoping to deliver this to the Editor before the meeting.

I am aware that there are lots of cosmetic issues, most notably with the size and appearance of mathematical symbols and equations. Often when I fix such a problem, Microsoft Word re-creates the problem. I trust that our document editor will spot these issues and can fix them more efficiently, and hopefully more permanently, than I can. (In other words, I don’t plan on fixing them before delivering this document, and I don’t think it’s a good use of your time to try to identify them.)

Mark, Ian, and I have been doing some cross-verification tests on some initial small test images and I’m happy to report that we’ve been making good progress so far.

Regards,
Aaron