[Sls-ocm] ITU and Link budget

Nicolas.Perlot at dlr.de Nicolas.Perlot at dlr.de
Mon Apr 11 13:49:41 EDT 2011

Dear OCM All,

Here are some infos to prepare our discussion on ITU docs during the OCM meeting (May, 18th).

I found the following ITU recommendations related to free-space optical comms:
- SA.1742, Technical and operational characteristics of interplanetary and deep-space systems operating in the space-to-Earth direction around 283 THz
- SA.1805, Technical and operational characteristics of space-to-space telecommunication systems operating around 354 THz and 366 THz
- P.1621, Propagation data required for the design of Earth-space systems operating between 20 THz and 375 THz
- P.1622, Prediction methods required for the design of Earth-space systems operating between 20 THz and 375 THz
- P.1814, Prediction methods required for the design of terrestrial free-space optical links
- P.1817, Propagation data required for the design of terrestrial free-space optical links

The ITU recommendations mentioned by Enrico (SA.1742 and SA.1805) base their link budgets on the following papers:
[1] B. J. Klein and J. J. Degnan, "Optical Antenna Gain. 1: Transmitting Antennas," Appl. Opt. 13, 2134-2141 (1974)
[2] J. J. Degnan and B. J. Klein, "Optical Antenna Gain. 2: Receiving Antennas," Appl. Opt. 13, 2397-2401 (1974)

Whereas I think everybody agrees with the Tx-gain definition given in [1], the Rx-gain definition provided in [2] may not be consensual. In particular, the Rx-Gain includes the "losses at the detector", which makes the Rx-gain depend also on the detection technique and possibly on the turbulence parameter r_0. E.g., the Strehl loss would thus be included in the Rx-Gain. (As you know<http://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/SLS-OCM/Meeting%20Materials/2011_05_Berlin/FSO_LinkBudgetConventions_Proposal_20110324.pdf>, I personally prefer to avoid the concept of Rx-gain).

Note also that the ITU recommendation P.1814 bases its link budget on the "geometrical attenuation" (which we also call "free-space coupling loss") formulated as the ratio of two surfaces. So, ITU seems flexible regarding link-budget formulations.

Regards,

Nicolas
Chair of SIG OCM