[SLS-CC] A few C&S notes inspired by the SLS Plenary

Andrews, Kenneth S (US 332B) kenneth.s.andrews at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 2 15:31:52 UTC 2022

Ignacio and Andrea,

Here are a few comments in response to discussion during the SLS Plenary.

*  A list of all projects is available in the CWE Area here:
https://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Projects/AllOpenChartersWithAllProjects.aspx
One can scroll down to 5.02, for example, to see an historical list of all projects completed by the Coding and Synchronization Working Group.  Given this, I don’t see a good reason to duplicate the list in our charter.

*  The Optical Communications Working Group charter is available here:
https://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Charters/sls.aspx
It does include coding for optical links, and in fact, that working group has been standardizing codes for optical links.  Hence, I think it makes sense to delete it from the Coding and Synchronization charter.

*  Andrea’s slides mention that for the 131.2 Blue Book (Flexible Advanced Coding and Modulation, i.e. SCCC), a C&S WG resolution for publication for publication was issued in Fall of 2021.  I found an email message dated 11 February, 2022, but I don’t know that anything has happened since then.  I think the next step would be for Ignacio to issue an SLS resolution, so if you could both look back at that and confirm the status, I’d appreciate it.

*  For the five-year review, the only C&S document that comes to mind is 230.2-G-1, “Next Generation Uplink”, published in 2014.  That book provided a roadmap for updating our ground-to-space communications link standards, and we have largely completed that over the past eight years.  We added short-blocklength LDPC codes to the TC Blue Book (231.0-B) in 2017 (updated again in 2021), explained those codes in the TC Green Book (230.1-G-3) in 2021, and permitted the use of the AOS protocol on forward links in the TM Coding Blue Book (131.0-B-4) and DVB-S2 Blue Book (131.3-B-2) in 2022, and have a resolution pending to do the same with the SCCC Blue Book (131.2-B).  Hence, I think we can now retire that Next Generation Uplink Green Book.

Thanks,

-Ken