[SLS-CC] Fw: CCSDS 732 section 4.1.2.6 Header Error Control

Marco.Rovatti at esa.int Marco.Rovatti at esa.int
Mon Sep 20 15:59:19 UTC 2021

Dear Andrea,

All the reasons identified by Victor's e-mail below, provide a fair
rational for deletion of the Frame Header Error Control field from the AOS
Standard, except the misuse, which cannot be charged on AOS's bill.
The additional overhead it's also of a lesser concern, since it s only
around 0.1%.
In any case, we have currently several missions in EU that use the AOS
including FHEC field, and more are in the pipeline (e.g. the six
Copernicus Expansion Missions) with the same frame format configuration.
Therefore, as a first reaction, I would not be in favour of removing the
FHEC field from the AOS book, since by doing this we would make the new
missions non-compliant.
Moreover, the FHEC field is optional, each mission who does not need it,
can opt-out. In this respect, the standard is already providing sufficient
flexibility.
So, all in all, while I see some advantages in removing the FHEC I also
see an equal amount of benefits leaving it in the book.

Nevertheless, I will survey internally, both on-board and on-ground teams
in ESA to gather an Agency's view averaged across different departments.
I'll let you know soon.

In any case, message to SLS-SLP, even if the final decision were to remove
it, I would do it "gracefully".
We could in principle find a way to indicate kind of "not recommended for
new design" clause/note in the next version of 732.0 book and in 5 or 10
years (i.e. one or two review cycles) we will eventually remove it.

Cheers
Marco