[SLS-CC] Proximity-1 Coding&Synchronization sub-layer, CCSDS 211.2 -> Inclusion of Version 4 (USLP) frames

Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int Massimo.Bertinelli at esa.int
Wed Feb 13 17:06:10 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

CESG raised the following comment (below) on the pink sheet CCSDS
211.2-P-2 (introduction of Version 4 frames into the Proximity-1
coding&sync sub-layer)

The largest change introduced seems to be the addition of also Version 4
as possible transfer
frame in the PLTU. However in the PLTU I cannot see any discriminant
between TF v3 and v4.
Is this meant to be a pre-agreed decision in a dedicated ICD not part of
the standard? If so,
would not be more interoperable to add a flag in the PLTU that allows
automatic identification
of the TF version number?

In order to address the comment and allow the Agency Review to start, the
following change to 3.6.4 has been proposed by Greg:

The C&S sublayer shall use the Frame Length Field and the Transfer Frame
Version Number (TFVN) in the Transfer Frame Header of the Transfer Frame
to locate the position of the CRC-32 field in the PLTU.

Would you agree with this change in the pink sheet (solely for the purpose
of removing the CESG condition and start the Agency Review)?
This is a matter of some urgency so I would need your feedback, if any, by
this Friday, so that by Monday I can go ahead and reply to CESG.
In case of no feedback, I will assume that you are fine with the proposal.
Thank you and best regards,
Massimo

Massimo Bertinelli
Communication Systems Engineer