[SLS-CC] C&S Pasadena meeting, draft minutes

Fong, Wai H. (GSFC-5670) wai.h.fong at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 1 14:57:29 UTC 2015

Jean-Luc,

in the past we had books that were primarily the writing of one agency, the CDMA Blue book and Green book.  However, because those books were written by GSFC, it does not mean that the source material for the studies and data are only by us.  The protocol has been in use for decades and there are many agencies using the protocol.  Therefore, although GSFC led the writing, we rely on many decades of experience from many sources.  It is not effectively one agencies work.  Also, you might recall, Enrico had a large hand in crafting the books and directing the final products because ESA is another agency with experience in the protocol.  And before they were adopted, they met the concerns of every agency.

The DVB-S2 protocol is a new protocol for a space to ground link and it is an extremely complex protocol.  It is by and large, the sole work of CNES.  No agency has  experience in it's implementation and so it is important to document as much as possible all of the engineering issues that an agency would have in its implementation.  Now this is typically done before the Blue Book and the Green Book would just be a compilation of the studies done to support the proposal as a standard.  However, the situation with this protocol, (but it is not alone),  is that many of the implementation issues were not addressed prior to the Blue book.  So this is the situation we are now confronted with.   That is how to correct this obvious  anachronism.  My hope is that through the leadership of Massimo and Enrico, and with your agency's cooperation, we can produce a Green Book that addresses my concerns and others. Ultimately, I'd like to see a product that helps us implement the protocol without having to perform a lengthy research project of our own.

To your other point, as you know, the LDPC slicing effort was indeed an effort of GSFC with some collaboration from JPL, Gian-Paolo and other members.  The effort went into the C&S blue book, which as far as I know, a compendium document with efforts of many agencies in the past.  I don't understand this comparison with the DVB-S2 green book which by all admission is the work of a single agency.  If you want to clearly state your point, I would be more than happy to address it.

Best regards,

Wai