[Sis-mia] Notes from Darmstadt Meetings & Review and comments/action required

Grubbs, Rodney P. (MSFC-EO50) rodney.grubbs at nasa.gov
Thu Nov 19 15:32:16 UTC 2015

We had productive meetings in Darmstadt, but missed our frequent contributors from ESA and Russia.

On Tuesday NASA MSFC Walt Lindblom presented the results of interoperability testing we conducted with 5 motion JPEG2000 encoder/decoder manufacturers.  That presentation is in the CWE.  We then reviewed Pink Sheet content to add Motion JPEG2000 real-time transmission to our Blue Book.  We also reviewed the updated Yellow Book to account for the recent testing.  The results of these reviews are in the documents attached.  These are also in the CWE.  Look for the _1 versions posted on Nov. 19.

On Wednesday DLR/Jeremy Pierce-Mayer reviewed testing they have been doing with Video over DTN without using a transport stream.  That presentation is also in the CWE.  We had a lengthy discussion with our Area Director Keith Scott about the way forward with the question of video over DTN and Bundle Streaming.  The DLR work demonstrates a different approach to video over DTN compared to what NASA/JPL has been testing.  After much back and forth, Keith suggested our Working Group pursue a new project to document these different approaches.  That project would be a new Green Book.  We already have NASA and DLR interest for supporting this new project.  I’ve approached JAXA DTN colleagues to gauge their interest in participating, and reached out to our MIA Russian colleague, Ivan Antonov.  I understand everyone needs some time to get confirmation from their management that they can support this activity.

Action to the members:
1)  Please review the Pink Sheet text in the revision to the Blue Book and provide comments (using track changes in MS Word, please) to me by Tuesday, December 1, 2016.  You will find reference materials in the revised Yellow Book and the powerpoint presentation from the Darmstadt meetings.
2)  Please confirm whether you can support a new Green Book project that will last the next 2-3 meeting cycles for documenting requirements and approaches to streaming video over DTN.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Documents referenced above can be found on the CWE>SIS-MIA>Meeting Materials>2015>Fall.
*****
Rodney Grubbs
NASA Imagery Experts Program Manager
MSFC EO50
256-544-4582
256-603-3270 (cellular, text message capable)
Follow me on Twitter @rod4dtv