[Sis-ipo] Re: IP over CCSDS RED-3 update

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 20 08:48:17 EST 2009

At 08:06 PM 2/19/2009, Kazz, Greg J wrote:
>Go to SIS-IPO then to Draft Documents or use the URL below:
>The file name is: 702x1r3[final]_Feb19_09_gjk.doc

Greg: as you know, the IOAG has chartered a Space Internetworking
Strategy Group (SISG) to develop the recommended approach for
transitioning the international community towards an internetworked
space communications architecture. I think that there is a potential
SISG issue with the direct multiplexing of IPv4 datagrams into CCSDS
frames ("Method-1" on page 1-1 of the draft).

The SISG discussed this yesterday on a videoconference and I believe
that the emerging consensus is that direct IPv4 multiplexing should
not be cross-supported by the IOAG agencies. Basically, the
provisional recommendation is that all Network layer data structures
(e.g., Ipv4, IPv6 and BP/LTP) should use the Encapsulation service.

This is not an issue with the CCSDS standard (which describes a
technical capability), but an issue with how the standard will be
applied in operational, international cross support. However, we need
to think-through whether (as a minimum) we should add some wording to
the Draft Red Book to point-out this operational constraint, or
whether we should even go far as to remove the direct multiplexing
capability for IPv4.

I'd like to get the sense of the IPO working group about how to
handle this. We also have a private SISG meeting scheduled for 16-17
April in CO Springs and I think that we should plan on having you
participate in that meeting to make sure that we don't have any
IOAG/CCSDS disconnects prior to finalizing the IP-over-CCSDS Links document.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG) and
CCSDS Technical Liaison to the IOAG
NASA Headquarters
Space Communications and Navigation Office, 7L70
Space Operations Mission Directorate
Washington, DC 20546-0001
Office: (+1) 202.358.0097
Mobile: (+1) 818.653.9553