[Sis-dtn] IP networking within DTN-based protocol architectures

Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de Tomaso.deCola at dlr.de
Fri Mar 8 09:24:21 UTC 2024

Dear All,

as mentioned yesterday during our DTN weekly, during the past Fall meeting a presentation was given by University of Nanjing with the support of Chinese agency about IP-networking within DTN-based protocol stacks, especially for planetary network segments (i.e. what is often referred to as IP-islands).
The link to that presentation is as follows:

https://cwe.ccsds.org/sis/docs/SIS-DTN/Meeting%20Materials/2023/Fall%202023%20SIS-DTN/Possible%20BOF%20Discussion.pptx?d=w44d31f0b3be649e4bf24ec4ae50479a1

The proposal made there was for a BOF (i.e. towards a WG formation), which I see however too premature. On the contrary, I'd be more in favour for a SIG (Special Interest Group), happening outside the DTN WG.

As discussed yesterday, key points to clarify/agree are:

  1.  Is the proposal sound and meaningful to be addressed?
  2.  Is appropriate for the SIS area or should be better addressed at architectural level in SEA (maybe it can be even a cross-area initiative)?
  3.  In the case of SIS, is there significant support to start this? In other words, which agencies have interest in contributing to this activity?

Thank you for sharing comments/objections/suggestions.

Have a nice weekend,

Tomaso

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Communications and Navigation | Satellite Networks | Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany
Tomaso de Cola, Ph.D. | Integrated Satellite Systems (INS) Team Leader
Telefon +49 8153 28-2156 | Telefax  +49 8153 28-2844 | tomaso.decola at dlr.de<mailto:sandro.scalise at dlr.de>
http://www.dlr.de/kn/institut/abteilungen/san