[Sis-dtn] Clean version of the CCSDS BPv7 Red Book draft

Felix.Flentge at esa.int Felix.Flentge at esa.int
Fri May 13 10:10:03 UTC 2022

Hi,

the situations regarding UDPCL is unfortunately a bit messy. We have:

1) Annex B4 in CCSDS 734.2-B-1
2) there is RfC 7122 in IRTF
3) expired UDPCL draft in IETF draft-sipos-dtn-udpcl-01 - Delay-Tolerant
Networking UDP Convergence Layer Protocol (ietf.org)

In terms of BP encoding, they are basically the same (just put a bundle in
UDP datagram payload, called unframed transfer in the IETF draft). 3) goes
beyond that as it also includes DTLS / Keep-alive / CL-Layer
fragmentation).

I think we really need to understand the 'space use cases' to make a good
decision what to include (or wait for UDPCL in IETF). In general, it does
not appear to me to useful in (most) space scenarios (besides testing) as
at least the simple approach has some limitation (bundle sizes should be
small to avoid IP fragmentation, need for explicit congestion control). I
think what we should try to avoid is that we get protocol stacks like BP /
UDPCL / UDP / IPE / EPP  when BP / EPP would be enough.

Regards,
Felix