[Sis-dtn] Positive reception claim vs. Negative reception claim in LTP Report Segment preparation and processing

sburleig.sb at gmail.com sburleig.sb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:20:57 UTC 2022

Hi, guys.  I believe we are actually talking about two distinct things here.

It is true that positive ACKs are required.  Positive acknowledgments turn off the retransmission timers for checkpoints, report segments, and cancellation segments.

Separately, the individual "claims" within a report segment might be either positive or negative.  I agree with Carlo, but think Cheol is correct that negative claims can yield a small overhead advantage.  For any LTP transmission whose scope is from block offset P to Q in which there are N gaps:
*	If one of the gaps begins at P and another of the gaps ends at Q, then the report must contain either N negative claims or N - 1 positive claims.
*	If no gap begins at P and no gap ends at Q, then the report must contain either N negative claims or N + 1 positive claims.
*	If one of the gaps begins at P or one of the gaps ends at Q, but not both, then the report must contain either N negative claims or N positive claims.

I would expect the second of these cases to occur more frequently than the other two, assuming AOS/LOS events don't occur during the transmission.

I don't see how either negative or positive claims processing is simpler or easier, though; the representations are equivalent.  Ease of implementation would depend strictly on the manner in which segment information is stored and accessed at the sending and receiving ends of the transmission.  I personally found positive claims to be simpler to work with.

Scott