[Sis-dtn] SANA-related question

Dr. Keith L Scott kscott at mitre.org
Fri Sep 10 16:28:14 UTC 2021

Hey,

So we’re working the revisions to the LTP spec, and one thing we’d like to do is to have a ‘field length identifer’ that serves (at least logically) as the index into a lookup table that gives the lengths of a number of LTP header fields.  So, for example field Length Identifier 1 could mean:

  *   The Session ID is 1 byte long
  *   The Session Number is 3 bytes long
  *   The Offset fields in data segments are 4 bytes long
  *   Etc.

We believe that the ‘lookup table’ should be a SANA registry (we’re currently envisioning maybe a couple of ‘profiles’ e.g. for low- medium- and high-rate links).

I THINK we want to write the spec in such a way that we talk about the field length identifier and then say something like: “For field lengths determined by the field length identifier, implementations MUST use the field length values from <insert SANA registry here>”.

Does this seem reasonable?  Other thoughts / suggestions?

                                v/r,

                                --keith