[Sis-dtn] RE: [dtn] high level summary

Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de Jeremy.Mayer at dlr.de
Mon Apr 4 21:46:08 UTC 2016

Just to keep it at the forefront of the SIS-DTN hivemind, the “significant changes from RFC5050” section of BPBis is listed below. Items which may cause an issue or should otherwise be noted are bolded.

12. Significant Changes from RFC 5050

   Points on which this draft significantly differs from RFC 5050
   include the following:
     . Clarify the difference between transmission and forwarding.
     . Amplify discussion of custody transfer.  Move current custodian
        to an extension block, of which there can be multiple
        occurrences (possible support for the MITRE idea of multiple
        concurrent custodians, from several years ago); define that
        block in this specification.
     . Introduce the concept of "node ID" as functionally distinct
        from endpoint ID, while having the same syntax. JPM: We’ll need to check our use of Node ID Vs. endpoint ID in documents
     . Restructure primary block, making it immutable.  Add optional
        CRC.
     . Add optional CRCs to non-primary blocks.
     . Add block ID number to canonical block format (to support
        streamlined BSP).
     . Add bundle age extension block, defined in this specification.
     . Add previous node extension block, defined in this
        specification.
     . Add flow label extension block, *not* defined in this
        specification.
     . Add manifest extension block, *not* defined in this
        specification.
     . Add hop count extension block, defined in this specification.
     . Clean up a conflict between fragmentation and custody transfer
        that Ed Birrane pointed out.
     . Remove representation specifications from the document, making
        the protocol specification representation-neutral.

In addition, please note that class of service has been removed from BPBis, which causes a few issues: First, it (sort-of) flies afoul of section 3.3 of the BP Blue Book: Conformant implementations of the CCSDS Bundle Protocol shall implement the ‘Extended Class of Service (ECOS)’ block defined in annex C”. While the Extended Class of Service block as it is defined in the annex can be added to a BPBis-based implementation, it isn’t extending anything. The idea from IETF is that a new document will be created which defines a representation-agnostic CoS implementation.

Second, in section 4.3.5, the “class-of-service parameter” is specified, which is no longer in the BP primary block. These changes will also create a change to Annex F: BP Managed Information. In F2.2, there’s a table of bundle state information which must be collected. In that list, we specify that the collection of bundle counts for bulk, normal, and expedited priorities is mandated. If I were to implement a BPBis system today, there would be no way to collect these values.

Thanks,
Jeremy