[Sis-dtn] Notes from Fall 2014 SIS-DTN Technical Meetings

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Tue Nov 18 10:54:28 UTC 2014

All,

Below are my summary notes from the Fall 2014 SIS-DTN meetings.  I'd like to thank everyone for their participation and the hard work they've been doing advancing internetworking within the space communications domain.  If you have comments on the notes, please let me know and I they're significant I'll release another revision.

With respect to the future planning: we talked about agencies interests and abilities to contribute to network management, security, and routing.  I'd like to go ahead and nail down names for the book editors and start the process of drafting those books.  In particular, it will be VERY IMPORTANT for book editors to be familiar with the CCSDS publication manual and to attend, as soon as practical, the 'CCSDS Boot Camp' presentation.

One extra wrinkle that I'll try to sort out ASAP: we talked about starting the network management work immediately (both the Green Book and a Blue Book).  At least the Green Book WAS in the CCSDS resource framework<http://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Projects/Resources/Resources.aspx> (which is different from what you might normally think of as the CWE Framework), though the Blue Book wasn't.  As of today, it seems that NEITHER is included in the resource framework any longer (the status of the Green Book has transitioned to 'Grandfathered') - I'm going to try to work this with the CMC starting today.  [I'm almost sure this status changed since last Thursday/Friday, and maybe since last Saturday].

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D0031E.03635C90]

Bundle Protocol for CCSDS

*       Resolved RIDS per the spreadsheet in the CWE BP Red-3 Review Folder<http://cwe.ccsds.org/sis/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2fsis%2fdocs%2fSIS-DTN%2fDraft%20Documents%2fDTN%20Protocol%2fRed-3%20Review&FolderCTID=&View=%7b390C4ADA-A69B-4E52-A0DA-50C48F989C4B%7d>

o   No significant technical changes - move forward with interoperability testing.

*       Developed schedule for BP interoperability testing

o   Target complete with testing and documentation by end of March 2015

o   Interoperability Test Participants:

?  JAXA / JPL (ION)

?  MSFC (DTN2)

o   Schedule:
[cid:image006.png at 01D00318.96B61C40]

Future Work

*       Contact Graph Routing

o   Book Editor: NASA (JPL)

?  Descriptions exist, need specification of forwarding decision process

o   Target Date: End of CY 2016

o   Implementation1: ION (90% complete)

o   Implementation2: ???? (preferably in DTN2 context, 0% complete)

*       Bundle Protocol Security

o   Book Editor NASA (GRC)

?  Draft specification exists

o   Target Date: End of CY 2016

o   Implementation1: ION (90% complete)

o   Iplementation2: ???? (preferably in DTN2 context, 80% complete)

*       Network Management (now not in the resource list<http://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/Lists/Projects/Resources/Resources.aspx> at all (it was yesterday)).  Below is what we discussed at the meeting with my notions of 'completeness' of the implementations.

o   Green Book

?  Book Editor: No resources - interest from NASA JPL.  Trying to work resources from CMC.

?  Older draft book exists, needs significant work

o   Blue Book

?  Book Editor: NASA (MSFC)

?  Implementation1: ION (90% complete)

?  Implementation2: DTN2 (80% complete)

o   SIS Area is trying to work resources and admission of need from CMC

Other Items

*       Bundle Streaming Service

o   Significant work from DLR experimenting with streaming - optimizing performance via tuning existing ION implementation (i.e. without modifying the software)

o   DLR DTN Media Protocol - 'RTP-like' encapsulation for BP

o   DLR also has and is working on web-based (ION) configuration tool - seems like it would be very useful to agencies / missions looking to start using DTN.

DTN Experimentation and Interoperability

*       ISS Institutional DTN: moving ahead and planning for ~May 2015 Initial Operational Capability

o   ISS 'File Transfer' service was looking at CFDP over bundles, may switch to RSYNC over BP (RSYNC will find changed PARTS of a file and update them)

*       ETRI DTN test plan

o   Looking at multi-hop CFDP over BP implementation; very complete test notion including end-to-end path / testing (e.g. including CSTS)

Again, comments, corrections, additions to the above welcome.

--keith

Dr. Keith Scott                                                                                           Office: +1.703.983.6547
Chief Engineer, J86A                                                                               Fax:      +1.703.983.7142
Communications Network Engineering & Analysis Email: kscott at mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation<http://www.mitre.org/>                                                                        M/S H300
7515 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102