[Sis-csi] RE: networking details

Jane K. Marquart Jane.K.Marquart at nasa.gov
Mon Feb 12 10:16:04 EST 2007

Not having e-mail since Thursday, I was able to read this thread
back-to-back.
35 e-mails and 25 minutes later, I'm not sure what the original question
was, what the answer was, or where we are right now.
My background, for those of you who don't know me, is Flight
software.  I've worked many many years/missions, side-by-side with Project
Mgrs, system engineers, hardware engineers, ops folks, etc., sometimes
24/7, building and launching spacecraft.  I've had to convince PMs and
engineers why "this is the best way" (including an onboard IP network for
GPM).  I do not have the depth of expertise on network and IP protocols,
etc., that most of you do.  Nor do I have any religious preference for IP
or CCSDS.  Given that, if we want to produce something that may actually
"fly" or "be accepted", my feeling for this WG is that we should get back
to the types of discussions we had in Colorado Springs.  That is, what are
the issues within the operational Cis-lunar scenarios that need to be
resolved?  What are the protocol profiles?  What are the solutions and are
they realistic and palatable to PMs or systems engineers, or today's ops
personnel?  Base it on technical merit, which may have different solutions
for different scenarios.  Do prototyping that supports the technical
merit.  And START SIMPLY, because when it comes down to it, no PM that I
know of will take the risk of implementing something that poses high risk
or high cost to their mission.  Their hides will be in the canner.  Yes we
need to be aware of a migration path, and future needs, but let's not get
stuck in a long-term debate when we haven't even gotten out of the batter's
box.  As an international WG, we should concentrate on analyzing the
proposed (Cx) and existing (IP, IETF, CCSDS) networking protocols and
figure out how the issues may be resolved where more than a single
mission/program can benefit.  Cx is looking out for Cx, ESA concentrates on
ESA, other NASA missions may look for single solutions.  Its
understandable.  The hardest part of standards work is finding agreement
across different interests, but isn't that our goal?  Finding solutions for
CisLunar that might support the majority?

Just my 2 cents.....

Jane