[Sis-csi] CCSDS Cislunar Architecture Book CESG RIDs -- RID1

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Thu Apr 5 12:23:01 EDT 2007

Jean-Luc,

You proposed changing the title of section 4:

From

"Proposed Architecture"

"A Possible Architecture"

on the basis that agencies have not reached consensus as to whether or
not the document represents an agreed way forward for CCSDS.

===========

While I am sensitive to your concern, the Cislunar Working group was
chartered by the CMC to develop this architecture and a suite of
protocol recommendations.  ESA had a hand in approving the WG charter
and was aware of this work even before then.

I would prefer to not change the section title to "A Possible
Architecture," since pretty much ANYTHING could fall under such a
classification.  What if instead this were changed to "Proposed
Architecture for Networked Missions"?

This would accomplish (I hope) two things:
  1) Acknowledges that the architecture IS in fact the agreed-to CCSDS
architecture for missions that use Layer-3 (networked) mechanisms
  2) Allows agencies to bypass the document if Layer-3 mechanisms are
not needed.  That is, agencies could continue with current operations
that use packets as application data units directly over TC/TM and/or
AOS links with the view that these missions do not themselves use
Layer-3 routing.

The 'SCOPE' section (1.4) also already states that the scope of the
document is for "an internetworking communications architecture in the
cislunar mission domain.  It does not prescribe a communications
architecture in general..."

Would making this change address your RID?

        Best Regards,

            --keith

Keith Scott
Chair, CCSDS Cislunar Space Internetworking Working Group
+1.703.983.6547 (voice)
+1.703.983.7142 (Fax)
kscott at mitre.org