[Sis-csi] CCSDS Cislunar Telecon tomorrow, 7 Sept

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Thu Sep 7 12:13:52 EDT 2006

Le 06-09-07 à 11:48, Scott, Keith L. a écrit :

> Marc,
>
> Hmmm....  The CCSDS data links are all point-to-point (even prox-1's
> 'hailing' mode is very point-to-point oriented, and the data transfers
> are certainly so).  If there are only two parties on the link, then we
> may have achieved both multicast and broadcast in so far as IPv6
> requires them for neighbor discovery.  Mapping an IPv6 multicast
> address down onto the data link address is an issue, but if the v6
> multicast maps to the data link address (spacecraft ID, etc.) of the
> other end of the link, that may be OK.
>
> IPv6 must deal with point-to-point links, like serial lines, right?

- ipv6 is defined for point-to-point links, obviously. And yes,
typical p2p links are fine since multicasting to the other node is
easy.  But some wording should say so by describing how the ND will
be implemented in the stack. However, if the CCSDS data links are (to
my knowledge) mostly unidirectional, then there might be some issues,
or at least some wording, verification on what happens in this case.
I think it should be looked at.
- another example: IPv6 within ND (Neighbor discovery) has a
mechanism called DAD (duplicate address detection). DAD is mandatory
unless there is a specification that address the issue, for example
because the specificities of the link layer. That needs to be
addressed too I think.
- now, addressing still needs to be looked at too.  ...

in IETF perspective, any new link-layer would have a document that
describes the interaction of IPv6 over that link layer and the
related specificities. For example, there are documents for IPv6 over
Ethernet, Ipv6 over PPP, IPv6 over ATM, IPv6 over arcnet (!), IPv6
over frame-relay, IPv6 over token-ring, IPv6 over 802.16 networks,
etc...  One way to look at this is an IPv6 over CCSDS document that
describes the behavior of IPv6 over those link(s).  While I don't
really care myself about where it is published (I can help for both
ways: in ietf or within ccsds), the information itself is important
to be put in a document so the implementor will know what to do and
that would really help CCSDS related market (agencies, etc...) to
have conformant and interoperable implementations.

my 2 cents...

Marc.