[Sis-csi] No call today

Peter Shames peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 21 15:44:35 EST 2006

Simple.  Use CCSDS space link standards and assigned GSCIDs.  These
are the space equivalent of MAC addresses.  There is already a
process in place and these link are proven for use in space.

Peter Shames

On Dec 21, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Keith Hogie wrote:

> Will,
>
>   You mentioned that you have been running this over Ethernet and are
> not sure what happens with serial links.  What about the process for
> generating link local addresses.
>
>   I think the normal process for generating a link local address is to
> use your MAC address in the last 64 bits.  This works great for
> Ethernet
> but serial links don't have MAC addresses.  A MAC address is nice
> because they are globally administered and unique.  What do we do to
> avoid people randomly assigning their own serial link addresses and
> ending up with one that matches someone else.
>
>   Just one of those differences between the Ethernet multi-drop LAN
> world and the serial point-to-point world.
>
> Keith Hogie
>

> Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RCN0) wrote:
>> Keith,
>>  I believe on can turn neighbor discovery off.  I believe many
>> manets are
>> interested in turning neighbor discovery off to reduce chatter and
>> because one may not be connected to the manet or reachable during
>> another's neighbor discovery process.  Space applications would be
>> similar I suspect.
>> Yes, for any routing protocol, one needs bidirectional links.
>> Otherwise
>> one has  to simply use static or default route.  These of course
>> could
>> be a weighted route such that if no other dynamic routes exist,
>> send to
>> the default.
>>  Regarding the NEMO comment:
>>                   /------/                  /---.--/
>>                     |                         |
>>   2001:DB8:2:2::/64 |                         | 2001:DB8:3:3::1/64
>>                     |                         |
>>               +-----+----+              +-----'----+
>>               | Router A |..............| Router B |
>>               +----------+              +----------+
>>   Example 1           10.1.2.1       10.1.2.2
>>   Example 2        10.100.20.1       10.200.50.1
>>   Example 3    2001:DB8:1:1::1       2001:DB8:1:2::1
>> Example 1 is how IPv4 routing has to take place  (assume class C /24
>> networks)
>> Example 2 will not allow for IPv4 routing (RIP/OSPF) as the
>> interfaces
>> are in different sub-networks.
>> Example 3 works for IPv6 because of link-local addressing.  We had
>> three
>> routers in series, not just the two shown.  Okey will be writing
>> this up
>> after the Holidays.  Everything so far has been over Ethernet.  I
>> want
>> to make sure the same goes for Serial.  I believe is should, but I
>> always test my beliefs and have often been surprised.   Will
>   Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
>   Computer Sciences Corp.       office: 301-794-2999  fax:
> 301-794-9480
>   7700 Hubble Dr.
> [...]

Peter Shames
Manager - JPL Data Systems Standards Program
InterPlanetary Network Directorate
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-265
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-1333

Internet:  Peter.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the
first time"

                       T.S. Eliot