[Sis-csi] No call today

Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RCN0) william.d.ivancic at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 21 15:18:01 EST 2006

>From RFC 2472

5.  Stateless Autoconfiguration and Link-Local Addresses

   The Interface Identifier of IPv6 unicast addresses [6] of a PPP
   interface, SHOULD be negotiated in the IPV6CP phase of the PPP
   connection setup (see section 4.1). If no valid Interface Identifier
   has been successfully negotiated, procedures for recovering from such
   a case are unspecified.  One approach is to manually configure the
   Interface Identifier of the interface.

   As long as the Interface Identifier is negotiated in the IPV6CP phase
   of the PPP connection setup, it is redundant to perform duplicate
   address detection as a part of the IPv6 Stateless Autoconfiguration
   protocol [3].  Therefore it is recommended that for PPP links with
   the IPV6CP Interface-Identifier option enabled the default value of
   the DupAddrDetectTransmits autoconfiguration variable [3] be zero.

If one wanted to go throught the trouble, I guess one could specify a
standardized
mechanism for CCSDS for configuring unique link local IPv6 addressed
based on Spacecraft ID of some other space-unique identifier.

Will

William D. Ivancic
Phone 216-433-3494
Fax 216-433-8705