[Sis-csi] No call today

Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RCN0) william.d.ivancic at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 21 13:28:09 EST 2006

Keith,

I believe on can turn neighbor discovery off.  I believe many manets are
interested in turning neighbor discovery off to reduce chatter and
because one may not be connected to the manet or reachable during
another's neighbor discovery process.  Space applications would be
similar I suspect.

Yes, for any routing protocol, one needs bidirectional links.  Otherwise
one has  to simply use static or default route.  These of course could
be a weighted route such that if no other dynamic routes exist, send to
the default.

Regarding the NEMO comment:

                /------/                  /---.--/
                    |                         |
  2001:DB8:2:2::/64 |                         | 2001:DB8:3:3::1/64
                    |                         |
              +-----+----+              +-----'----+
              | Router A |..............| Router B |
              +----------+              +----------+
  Example 1           10.1.2.1       10.1.2.2
  Example 2        10.100.20.1       10.200.50.1
  Example 3    2001:DB8:1:1::1       2001:DB8:1:2::1

Example 1 is how IPv4 routing has to take place  (assume class C /24
networks)

Example 2 will not allow for IPv4 routing (RIP/OSPF) as the interfaces
are in different sub-networks.

Example 3 works for IPv6 because of link-local addressing.  We had three
routers in series, not just the two shown.  Okey will be writing this up
after the Holidays.  Everything so far has been over Ethernet.  I want
to make sure the same goes for Serial.  I believe is should, but I
always test my beliefs and have often been surprised.

Will

PS the graphics were done with Jave Ascii Versatile Editor
http://www.jave.de/

William D. Ivancic

Phone 216-433-3494

Fax 216-433-8705