[Sis-csi] IPSec AH and SCPS-NP

Weiss, Howard Howard.Weiss at sparta.com
Thu Dec 7 12:25:33 EST 2006

Actually, a bigger question is does it really make a difference?

The reason I say this is that the AH header overhead is 12 bytes.  On short packets, 12 bytes vs. 1 byte is a big difference.  HOWEVER, we are talking about carrying AH traffic.

This means that there is a (relatively speaking) large Integrity Check Value (ICV) that ensures the integrity and authenticity of the packet.  Using HMAC-MD5-96, this means adding 12 bytes of ICV to every packet anyway. And this assumes that MD5 (which normally pumps out 16 bytes of ICV) is truncated to 96 bits as specified in RFC 2104 and FIPS PUB 198a.  Moving away from MD5 takes us to the 20 byte SHA-1 and to the 32 byte SHA-256 (as NIST is already suggesting the movement away from SHA-1 by 2010).

Howie