[Sis-csi] Telecon today

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Thu Apr 20 10:34:22 EDT 2006

I don't think the real nut of contention is CFDP itself, but in what we
might recommend as a general practice for mission designers, especially
with respect to reliable data transfer.

I'm not trying to argue that there's no place for UDP -- far from it.
For applications that don't need reliability, UDP is the way to go.
There are issues in that UDP-based applications could, depending on
circumstances, cause congestion in the network.  How much traffic
constitutes 'too much' and whether the system is engineered such that
the application will always be safe are considerations.

My concern with presenting advice that could be interpreted as 'once
you have IP you're free to do completely anything above that, we're out
of it, and oh by the way TCP just won't work' is that (again, my
personal fear) it would lead to each mission crafting its own
reliability mechanisms, having to design and test each one.  When one
of those bites it (and one would, sooner or later) they'll claim that
the networking stuff is all crap and chuck it all, possibly including
IP.  'Standard' overlay protocols like CFDP, NORM, and DTN that can
provide some of the services applications need AND have some reuse and
testing/robustness go a long way towards alleviating this, and I think
their use should be encouraged for those cases where TCP is not an
acceptable reliability mechanism.

I completely agree with your last, that we can all agree on an IP-based
infrastructure and let missions sort out exactly how they want to work
over that later.

The way I see it, we will eventually have to provide some pretty
specific recommendations (it's our job -- mission designers are not
necessarily network-saavy, and we're supposed to be experts).

For THIS document, expecially since it's rationale and NOT a
recommendation, I wonder if we can simply cite some data transport
mechanisms, to include TCP, UDP, CFDP, maybe NORM? and DTN, with some
illustrative examples of their use (we have the section on Ops
Concepts) and stay relatively mute on recommended practice.  I think
it's worth pointing out *briefly* that: TCP provides congestion control
but in turn requires bidirectional end-to-end paths and can suffer from
low performance in long-rtt, high BER environments; UDP is insensitive
to RTT and works over simplex links, but doesn't provide reliability
unless the application implements it.  There are some UDP-based
overlays (e.g. CFDP, NORM) that provide reliability and have the
advantage that somebody else has done the design and hopefully some
testing.

		--keith