[Sis-csi] IP Header Compression

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 8 12:48:10 EDT 2005

===================
At 08:32 AM 9/7/2005, Matthew Cosby wrote:
>In Europe we get around this problem with a Command Pulse Distribution
>Unit (CPDU) installed in the Packet Telecommand Decoder (PTD -  "hunk of
>hardware that doesn't rely on the correct operation of the flight
>computer" ). This hardware commanding utilises the Multiplexed Access
>Point (MAP) identifiers in the segmentation layer of the Telecommand Stack.
>
>I have attached a data sheet of PTD for you read - Section 4.5. The upshot
>of it is you can send a command to the PTD (within the communications
>system) that can toggle up to 256 lines, for resetting the flight
>computer, switching antenna, etc without needing to worry about the high
>level stuff on top.
===================

As Matt notes, there is extensive and well-tested standard infrastructure
built around the concept of direct Link-layer "hardware" commanding. If you
read section 4.3 of the PTD data sheet you will also see that command
authentication is covered and if I remember correctly, bog standard CCSDS
Link layer data protection has already been quite widely implemented in
Europe for "asset"-class missions:

   -- Perhaps we can hear more about these capabilities from Matt and Dai?
   -- Howie; what's your take on the strength of the security that is
provided by the PTD?

I'm not sure that the CSI architecture should assume (as Chris suggests)
that *all* traffic is IP-based. Given where we are today, wouldn't it be
reasonable to expect an evolutionary progression, with a mix of some
services that are built directly on the Link layer and other services that
are Network based?

Perhaps the CSI group should revisit the AOS architecture that is expressed
in Figure 2-2 (page 2-5) of
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/701x0b3.pdf to see what
possibilities exist? It should be noted that the AOS architecture is now
~15 years old and that we are still waiting for any significant customers
of space networking to emerge. Rather than starting over, one would hope
that the CSI group would build on the internationally-agreed AOS framework
and at the end of the day the group would be able to recommend a
comprehensive update to the AOS service model (as defined in section 2 of
the specification) and to the corresponding protocol specs. In particular,
someone might want to at least propose a Pink Sheet to change the selection
of the protocol that is currently recommended to implement the Internet
service... :-\

///adrian