[Sis-csi] Dust impact?

Donald P Olsen Donald.P.Olsen at aero.org
Thu Oct 27 14:14:18 EDT 2005

Greetings

Any dust, in addition of refraction, could also cause scattering
dependeing on its surface electrical conductivity at the operating
frequencies.

Don

"Scott, Keith L." <kscott at mitre.org>
Sent by: sis-csi-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
10/27/2005 06:47 AM

"Fred Slane" <fas1 at adelphia.net>, <sis-csi at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [Sis-csi] Dust impact?

Hmm.  Any notion of what such dust would do to a Ka-band or X-band signal?
 If it changed the permittivity of the atmosphere significantly I guess it
could refract or attenuate a signal.  Presumably the effects of 'free'
(didn't want to say airborne) dust on the moon would be relatively
short-lived unless it happened to coat an antenna.  Mars has dust storms
and those pesky dust devils.  ANy pointers to data?

        --keith