[Sis-csi] Cislunar Section 8 - definitions and stacks

Keith Hogie Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 29 15:58:21 EDT 2005

Chris,

  In reviewing your other examples and trying to figure out a what we
should use, I ended up trying to see if there were some categories we
could identify for all the types of data flows.  Then we could do an
example for each case.  I put some thoughts in the file and tried to fit
your first example into those definitions.

I'm not sure where this is going but in the process of trying to fit
your example into the categories I found that the example starts by
discussing a transfer down and then ends up describing a transfer up.
So running through the checklist of categories actually had some use.

I also noticed that your relay node did not go high enough to do the
CFDP processing.  It shows a relay node with no storage and that only
does packet forwarding.  I inserted an alternate diagram that tried to
put more emphasis on the network layer, file storage locations, and RF
links.  It also doesn't include lower layer details to avoid any
conflict with other working groups.

I didn't get down to proposing any alternate scenarios yet.  Some
initial thoughts are:

1 - Traditional satellite/rover scenarios - GROUND controlling
satellites/rovers, data dumps, etc.
2 - Traditional MANNED scenarios - voice, video, telemetry
3 - More elaborate scenarios with RELAYS at network layer and above for
realtime and file store-and -forward  (not TDRSS, or other RF relay)
4 - Non-Earthly scenarios with unmanned and manned interaction without
Earth contact
5 - Scenarios with MULTI-PARTY communication, not just two endpoints

See what you think

  Keith Hogie                   e-mail: Keith.Hogie at gsfc.nasa.gov
  Computer Sciences Corp.       office: 301-794-2999  fax: 301-794-9480
  7700 Hubble Dr.
  Lanham-Seabrook, MD 20706  USA        301-286-3203 @ NASA/Goddard