[Sis-csi] Cislunar Section 8

Krupiarz, Christopher Christopher.Krupiarz at jhuapl.edu
Tue Aug 23 15:59:59 EDT 2005

Keith,

Thanks for the comments.

You make a valid point about the complexity of the scenario and I
struggled with at what level to start.  One of the primary thoughts I
had on choosing a more complex architecture is that it gives an end-game
for why we want to introduce this in earlier missions.  One of the areas
of concern I have on trying to move to a network based architecture is
how can a convincing argument be made for why we need it.  I can
certainly understand why there would be reluctance to put in place this
technology at the outset.  As a mission manager, I wouldn't want to
introduce unnecessary risk and as someone in mission ops, I'd want a
really good reason to deviate from what I've already done successfully
on previous missions.  My thought was that if we could provide a
"medium" level complex architecture, the mission managers could see how
their spacecraft would fit into the evolved architecture, albeit either
near the end of the program's life or during an extended phase of the
mission.  If it's not sufficiently complex, I'm not sure it shows enough
about the architecture that we don't already do.

Regarding the lower link layers, that's what I get for putting in
something I haven't used before. ;)  I should have kept it to TC/TM.
However, the question of whether we should even include it is also valid
and it's something that could be left off the table if we have agreement
on that.  To be honest, I'm still having a bit of trouble breaking
through the mindset of anything beyond command/telemetry so any examples
of applications other than that would be appreciated.  I think these
would fit well as subsections showing example data flow.

Chris