[SIS-CFDPV1] updated CFDP Revisions draft

구철회 chkoo at kari.re.kr
Mon May 27 01:42:57 UTC 2019

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the changes. Please find my comments as follows;

1) Section 4.1.2
Is it more clear when target PDU format is specified? i.e.
When an entity is required to perform checksum calculation of a given type but is for any reason unable to do so, the value of the checksum shall be zero.
When an entity is required to perform checksum calculation of a given type but is for any reason unable to do so, the value of the file checksum in the EOF PDU shall be zero.

Or I would think it is helpful if receiving entity is able to know that the file checksum in the EOF PDU to be received will be zero because in that case receiving entity don’t have to calculate checksum incrementally, which I believe some agencies perform it for time saving because it could be an issue when big file is transferred. So would it make sense?

When an entity is required to perform checksum calculation of a given type but is for any reason unable to do so, the value of the checksum shall be zero.
When an entity is required to perform checksum calculation of a given type but is for any reason unable to do so, the checksum type in the Metadata PDU and the value of the file checksum in the EOF PDU shall be zero.
If so, the default checksum type for modular checksum should be ‘1’ or so.

2) Section 5.2.5
I think that 6 for the length of checksum type is too long and some space could be requested for future use. In my opinion, for interoperable operation an applicable checksum algorithm should be selectable among 2 or 3, which each agency should implement as minimum and mandatory.

FYI, for example checksum type could be 3 bit for length and value are as follows;
   - 0 (no checksum type or checksum operation is not applicable at current transaction)  ; I think at the last CCSDS meetings, we discussed the checksum type of zero (0) would be no checksum, 1 for modular checksum, 2 for CRC32 and so on.
   - 1 (CFDP mandatory checksum type #1)
- 2 (CFDP mandatory checksum type #2)
- 3 (CFDP mandatory checksum type #3)
- 4 ~ 7 (CFDP user defined checksum type #1 ~ #4)

Best,

Cheol