[Sis-ams] FW: [Secretariat] [CESG] Results of CESG poll closing 22 March 2010

Burleigh, Scott C (313B) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 1 15:42:25 EST 2010

Hi, AMS fans.  We have had a setback: the result of the CESG Poll on the question of asking CMC to publish the AMS spec as a Recommended Standard was disapproval.  The remarks of the Area Directors are given below.

I think it's still possible to standardize the Asynchronous Message Service within CCSDS, but unfortunately it will take some more work.  Several of the Area Directors are demanding extensive editorial changes to the specification.  More seriously, it looks as if we have got to do some supplementary interoperability testing - some of which will entail additional development of optional features in one or more of our implementations.  In particular:

*         We need checksums working in either Pat's implementation or Tim's so that we can test interoperability with mine.  This may not be too tough, and we might even be able to do the testing over the Internet.

*         We need to do something about testing all the optional security mechanisms in the spec.  If we think NASA can live without them for now, we might modify the spec to just provide hooks for future use and slip the detailed specifications into a future supplementary document.  But if we need the security procedures in the Blue Book from day 1, then we need to scope the cost of implementing and testing them; I expect that to be large.

I had scheduled only a single morning of AMS discussion during the October CCSDS Technical Meetings in Portsmouth, thinking we were all done and only needed a little time to wrap up.  I think a single morning is still enough time, but now I think we need to use that morning to develop a plan for completing this additional work.  Please give it some thought between now and then so we can converge on a strategy quickly.

Scott