[Sis-ams] better subject-matching?

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 10 21:07:52 EDT 2008

Edell, David J. wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Advanced filtering options could have potential usage, and if I
> remember correctly are available to some degree in the software bus of
> Goddard's cFE.  I don't think its worth the added processing costs to
> change to a string-based subject ID to accomplish that though.
>
> At a minimum, there's always the possibility of psuedo-filtering by
> specifying ranges of subject-IDs for specific categories, which
> is sometimes done on its own to organize ID listings.  This becomes an
> implementation choice within a program though, rather than a
> specification.
>
> I think the SubjectID, UnitID, RoleID field combination is intended to
> give a similar effect in combination with the "all subject" and "all
> role" subscription types.  It's been a while since I've looked at
> these field definitions though, so I could be wrong.   This might be
> another topic for discussion at Berlin.
You're right, David, that's exactly what the "domain" concept in
subscriptions, announcements, etc. is all about.

The problem here is that AMS is really intended to be for very high
performance (or, alternatively, for acceptable performance on highly
constrained hardware) in messaging, and string matching functions just
take a whole lot more processing time than integer comparison functions;
also, strings are typically a lot bigger than integers, so they consume
a lot more bandwidth -- not necessarily a big deal in Earth orbiters,
but a fairly big deal in deep space operations.  So the design decision
to use numeric subject IDs rather than strings was deliberate.

At the same time, the question of supporting more powerful subject
matching capability does come up over and over again; most (maybe all)
commercial message-oriented middleware systems have it.  The approach
we've been taking is to say that where these capabilities are needed you
presumably don't need high efficiency at the same time, so you can
afford an extra transmission hop, in which case the AMS Proxy
Architecture (section 6.1 of the spec) is the most flexible and powerful
way to provide this functionality.  I believe CNES, in fact, is already
contemplating development of a prototype AMQP-based AMS Proxy system.

Scott