[Sis-ams] AMS RID BNSC-70

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 17 17:54:37 EDT 2007

Last of the four unresolved RIDs:

    Rename "Memo" field in MAMS PDU as "Primary Data" field to better
    indicate its purpose and relationship to "Supplementary Data" field.

My proposed disposition is this:

    Not accepted.  "Primary Data" does not better indicate the purpose
    of this field, nor its relationship to the "Supplementary Data" field.

We probably shouldn't invest a lot of time in this one, as it is nothing
but word-smithery.  My point is that "Primary Data" actually doesn't say
anything useful about the purpose of this field -- only that it's
"primary" with respect to the (not always present) "Supplementary Data"
field.  In a sense it comes back to my complaint that the word "data" is
so overloaded that it doesn't connote anything at all, which it why I
prefer the marginally less insipid "Memo".

Scott