[Sis-ams] teleconferencing the AMS meetings

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Sep 10 21:05:15 EDT 2005

As promised, here is a summary of the *extremely preliminary* AMS
performance benchmarking I've done to date.  These are results I got
from using AMS to publish 200 million bytes of data in various
configurations (lots of tiny messages, a smaller number of larger
messages, etc.), with either 1 subscriber or 2 subscribers.  The numbers
in the "2 subscr" column are per subscriber, so the total performance is
twice the number shown.  The publishing application was running on a
Pentium III-based machine running Red Hat 8.0 Linux; the subscribing
application(s) ran on a second Pentium III-based machine that was
running Fedora Core 3.  The two machines were privately connected via a
100-Mbps Ethernet switch with no other traffic; AMS was running over a
TCP transport system.

* *

* *

*Msgs/sec*

*Msgs/sec*

*Mbps*

*Mbps*

*Msg Size*

*Msg Count*

*1 subscr*

*2 subscr*

*1 subscr*

*2 subscr*

20

10 million

11560

8581

1.7

1.3

200

1 million

10124

6642

15.4

10.1

2000

100,000

4800

2529

73.2

38.6

20000

10,000

587

293

89.6

44.8

Notice how the performance goes from being (apparently) CPU-limited for
the very small messages to I/O-limited for the largest messages.  The
peak message rate I saw was about 17,000 total messages per second, so
it was taking on average a little less than 60 microseconds to issue
each message.

Plenty of room for optimization (e.g., the code wasn't even compiled
with any optimization switches set), performance will be different on
different hardware, and it will be interesting to see how a
message-queue-based system does in contrast to TCP.

Scott