[Sis-ams] updated concept paper

Scott Burleigh Scott.Burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Sep 8 12:20:49 EDT 2005

Hi, AMS fans.  I have posted a revised edition of the AMS concept paper
(tentative spec) on the CWE for the AMS working group (formerly AMS
BOF): there are copies in two representations, one in all clean text and
the other showing all the markups since the June edition.  Most of these
changes come out of my experience in implementing the protocol: some
simplifications of the meta-AMS message exchange, some re-scoping of
functions to acknowledge contemporary networking reality, and some
insertion of stuff that had simply been overlooked which the protocol
really needs in order to operate efficiently.  Implementation is a
wonderful way to uncover the flaws in a specification.

The prototype implementation work has gone pretty well.  I have gotten
to the point of being able to do some performance benchmarking of
publish/subscribe activity, the results of which I will post to this
mailing list soon.  If all goes well with laptops and hubs and
configuration management we should also be able to present some brief
demonstrations of AMS in action -- including support for SMCP, I hope --
at the joint AMS/SMC meeting in Atlanta on Monday afternoon.

Scott