[Sis-ams] Draft documents

Kizzort, Brad bkizzort at harris.com
Tue Apr 5 10:21:26 EDT 2005

Scott,

The DDS specification that was adopted is the model and a mapping to IDL, not the wire protocol.  It is available in the public documents section (I verified that I could access without loggin in).

RTI may be suggesting an RFC for the wire protocol.  OMG allows an RFC process for a technology that has already been fielded.  I don't know if the RTPS-DDS protocol specification was presented in January in Burlingame.  I didn't see it explicitly on the agenda for the related task forces.

Most OMG standards are initiated by an RFP from the OMG.  The steps after the RFP are:
1) Submission of letters of intent (LOI)
2) Submission of proposals
3a) Resolution of differences in a joint submittal by proposers or
3b) Selection of a proposal
4) Adoption (or rejection)
5) Finalization
6) Publication.

The RFC process essentially starts with distribution of the proposal for comment and then continues with steps 4, 5, and 6.

Brad K.