[Sea-time] [EXTERNAL] Re: Updated Time BoF charter, please review and provide feedback by 10 Apr 2019

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 10 14:49:54 UTC 2019

Dear Sinda,

The process we use in CCSDS is consensus.  That means to seek the best possible outcome that all can agree upon.  It does not mean that someone can declare, unilaterally, that they do not like a choice.  The role for anyone with a dissenting opinion is to attempt to convince the rest of the WG that their position is the better one.  All of this is described in the CCSDS Organization and Procedures document, CCSDS A02.1-Y-4, in Annex G.

If you will recall we did discuss every one of the points that Enrico raised.  You were present for that discussion and you did not raise these issues except in that written submission.  The rest of the BoF, after considering those proposed changes, decided that only one of them was a valuable addition and it was included.  Aside from that, it appears that the phrase that Enrico is most concerned about is this highlighted one:

A multitude of time transfer, correlation, and synchronization methods will be described, including those involving ranging methods (telemetry ranging, PN ranging, and GMSK+PN ranging), one way data delay coupled with trajectory data, two-way range signaling similar to that used by the Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS)), the use of local area time zones (e.g., rovers and orbiters around Mars), and methods using or not using explicit time code format representations in the signaling.

The BoF has discussed this numerous times and they collectively believe that we need to evaluate all of these methods for dealing with time and time transfer.  We do not understand what the objections is.  This BoF is not going to define any of these methods, that is work to be done in other WGs.  What we will do is to describe how they can be used in serving the needs for time transfer, correlation, and synchronization.

I invite Enrico to provide an explanation for why he finds this objectionable.  Just saying “No”, however loudly, is not really sufficient.  In fact, I will put him on the agenda first, at 1045 AM on Monday, so we can put this matter behind us.

Best regards, Peter