[Sea-sa] Revised slides from 14 Nov RASDS++ working meeting

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 16 00:32:50 UTC 2022

Dear RASDS++ team,

Attached are the revised set of slides from the 14 Nov 22 working meeting.  During the meeting we discussed the following aspects:

  1.  Aligning with the top level ontology (now pg 15, and updating it as needed)
  2.  Adopting the approach of having an “object” figure, and “ontology” figure, and a “representation” figure for each viewpoint, in that order
  3.  Adding a prototype functional ontology, along with correspondences, to the intro section of the document providing a visualization for the description of correspondence
  4.  Make judicious use of other correspondence relationships in viewpoint ontology views, for context and connections
  5.  Agree to use a modified set of UML relationships for the ontology diagrams, introduce these UML relationships early in the document.
  6.  Recognize that the ontology diagrams are essentially instances of Information Viewpoint diagrams, adopt that style and document it
  7.  Clean up use of terms and make them consistent across viewpoints
  8.  Agree to adopt a single, common, representation across all of the ontology diagrams (I chose to use the “RASDS++ standard” instead of alternatives like OML, since we already had most of these in that style)
  9.  We can revisit this last item if there is strong feeling of the value of OML and if we can get the OML diagrams to use the adopted information object representation (rounded rectangles)

The attached package has a first cut at all of these changes.  This included creating several new (missing) “object” and “ontology” figures and redrawing two of the existing ones to make them all align.  I also added a new UML relationship figure as slide 11, along with the definitions of these terms “aggregation”, “composition”, “inheritance”, etc.  All views now have all three “standard” diagrams, but these need review by the team.  They also include a limited number of context correspondences, drawn using a lighter color and dashed lines.

A number of “in process” slides were left in place as a reminder of how we got to where we are.  Some of these contain definitions that we will need to clean up, normalize, and incorporate in the body of the text.  The older ontology charts that Ramon and Costin provided were left in place as a cross-check and a reminder of what we had.  I think we are still missing the latest of Costin’s Operational viewpoint updates relating to temporal aspects.

Retaining some of the charts, especially pgs 59-60 is an open question.  As is inclusion of pgs 71-72.  The integration of temporal aspects of operations, pg 73 and elsewhere is also up for discussion as is much of 80-85, a sort of crude operational animation.

Please review and provide any updates, corrections, suggestions, before the next meeting.

Thanks, Peter