[Sea-sa] Corrigenda issues re "service" and "capability"

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Thu May 27 23:39:51 UTC 2021

Peter,
With respect to SLE terminology, we specifically did NOT use ISO-BRM (ISO 7498) terminology fro SLE. When we (what was then Panel 3) started what became SLE in the early 1990s, some folks were thinking in terms of the layered OSI model (e.g., N-layer services being provided to N-1 layer entities), but we realized that was not the right model – SLE cross-support was peer-to-peer (or client-server). So we adopted the terminology from what was then ISO/IEC 10021-3, Information Technology—Text Communication—Message-Oriented Text Interchange
Systems (MOTIS)—Part 3: Abstract Service Definition Conventions, which we referred to simply as ASDC. The Standard Terminology, Conventions, and Methodology (TCM) for Defining Data Services Green Book (CCSDS 910.2-G-1, 1994) addressed both the ISO-BRM (section 3) and ASDC (section 4) as a way of helping Panel 3 members understand the distinctions between the two service models (and section 5 summarized how the two service models would play together in real systems. But the selection of ASDC for SLE is explicit in paragraph six of section 2 of the TCM, which begins:
“The ASDC have been selected for use in the definition of CCSDS Space Link Extension (SLE) services. At first glance, the communication-oriented OSI conventions seem to be most suitable for the SLE services, which deal with the transfer of spacecraft data to and from ground destinations remote from the ground station (reference [4]). However, on
further investigation, several aspects of the OSI model are found to be unsuitable for the cross-support environment envisioned for the provision of SLE services.” [and the examples follow]

ASDC itself was literally an abstraction of the ISO Remote Operations Service (ROS, ISO/IEC 9072-1), where ISO realized that they could create a general-purpose service model be prepending “abstract-“ to all of the terms defined for the ROS – that’s why SLE is defined in terms of “abstract-service”, although of course once it gets realized in SLE it’s no longer “abstract”. If you look at the Cross Support Reference Model and the individual SLE specifications, you’ll see eveythig expressed in terms of [abstract-]service and [abstract-ports], and nothing about “N-layer” services.

[As an aside, there still remained a group of people, mainly in ESA, that were thinking in terms of developing software and having interchangeable modules that could plug-and-play within a given computer – in particular a core common SLE engine and SLE-service-specific (e.g., RAF) modules that would plug into that engine. Those folks developed the suite of SLE API Magenta Books (CCSDS 914 and 915). The M-2 versions of those books were published in 2015, and I haven’t heard of anyone expressing interest in a 5-year recertification of them.]

Now getting to the specific definition of “service”, or in the case of SLE, “abstract-service”, the full definition from ASDC is “A set of capabilities that one abstract-object offers to another by means of
one or more of its abstract-ports.” This definition worked extremely well for SLE, especially in the cross-support context. What it says is that an object (e.g., a ground station) may have lots of “capabilities” (i.e., do a lot of things) but those capabilities become services only when they are made available to other objects in standardized ways (i.e., via one or more defined ports). To be only slightly facetious, a ground station may have a capability to heat technicians’ lunches in the breakroom microwave oven, but that’s not a capability tha’st part of any ground station cross-support service.

Now let’s look at the concept of (perhaps) multiple capabilities per service. The Monitored Data CSTS – a single service –is able to (a) periodically report the values of monitored parameters, (2) send event notifications upon occurrence of subscribed-to events, and (c) return the values of queried parameters. One could easily contend that these are 3 different capabilities all wrapped up in a single service.

So in summary, SLE does not use ISO BRM “N-layer” terminology, so there’s no issue about CSS standards having to migrate away from such terminology.  If you want to use either “capability” or “function” in lieu of the other, I don’t have an opinion one way or the other. But I’m still think that the distinction of “service” is that it is whatever capability(ies)/function(s)  is(are) exposed to an external entity (i.e., the “user”) via a standard interface.

Best regards,
John