[Sea-sa] Corrigenda for the SEA ASL document, 371.0-G-1

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu May 27 20:52:44 UTC 2021

Dear SEA-SA colleagues,

As you will already have seen in the note I just sent to our CSS colleagues, we think we need to make some modest changes, via corrigenda, to one specific definition in the ASL and to some other uses of the term “capability”:

Sec 1.5, Pg 1-8:

service: (RASDS) A set of capabilities that a component provides to another component via an interface. A service is defined in terms of the set of operations that can be invoked and performed through the service interface. Service specifications define the capabilities, behavior, and external interfaces, but do not define the implementation. (Reference [17].)

service: (RASDS) A service is a provision of an interface of an object to support actions of another object. (Reference [1].)

Rationale: the quoted definition is from  MO, M&C Services, and not from RASDS.  Furthermore, it is inaccurate since is somewhat casually  inverts the relationship between “service” and “capability”.  A more accurate rendering of the MO definition would be:

service: (MO M&C Services) A set of functions that a component provides to another component via an interface. A service is defined in terms of the set of operations that can be invoked and performed through the service interface. Service specifications define the functions, behavior, and external interfaces, but do not define the implementation. (Reference [17].)
Sec 3.2.4, Pg 3-5:

From:
·         –  the behavior exposed at the interface, in terms of the high-level capabilities or operations supported by the service;

·         –  the behavior exposed at the interface, in terms of the high-level functions or operations supported by the service;
Sec 4.3.4.1, Pg 4-40: