[Sea-sa] [EXTERNAL] Reminder - SEA SAWG RASDS meeting on Monday, 8 Mar 2021

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 8 19:37:51 UTC 2021

Notes from 8 Mar 2021 WebEx, RASDS subset discussion

Attendees: Krosley, Huang, Radulescu, Slane, Shames

We discussed the latest version of the RASDS “slide deck” showing the updates to existing viewpoints and some sketches of the new viewpoints.  That file (File: SEA SAWG RASDS Update Views 4Mar21) is attached here.  The following notes are page references in that file.

Pg 10: This display of existing and proposed future viewpoints was extensively discussed.  There is general agreement that it represents the extensions and the new viewpoints that we are discussing adding.

  1.  Operational VP: agreement that we need this for SC14 and also CCSDS
  2.  Services VP: agreement that we need this for SC14 and CCSDS (it has already appeared in the ASL and SCCS-ARD documents)
  3.  Physical / Structural VP: agreement that this is a variant/extension to the Connectivity VP. With additional Node types and a focus on physical/structural attributes and connections in addition to the current communications focus
  4.  Engineering VP: agreement that SC14 has a significant body of work that can use this VP, with focus on engineering and related processes (the SE ‘V’, I&T, V&V) that are largely covered in ISO 15288 and other international and national standards.  Recognition that this Engineering VP is orthogonal to the other architectural VP and that it is treated, at length, in other literature.  Not yet agreement as to whether we will wish to add this as another full VP in the RASDS++ or address it at an intro level and leave elaboration to the SC14 reference architectures.
  5.  Mission Assurance VP: general agreement that we can fold the MA aspects of this into the extended Enterprise VP, or even into the Engineering VP.
Pg 11: Agreement that we need to add an Information Object to replace the Services connector that is now to be dropped.

Pg 12: Discussion of the wording used to describe “service interfaces” and “management interface”.  This will need to be clarified.  In many of these objects the Service and External interfaces are essentially how communications is carried out between objects.  These “service” interfaces are the exposed interfaces of functions, but we tend to think of these differently than the more formal “Service Interfaces” that appear in the Services VP.  The distinction may need more discussion, largely because it may reflect both style and the level of formalism.  For instance, the “service interface” of an implemented software function may be an API documented in a library.  This is clearly a “published interface” of some sort, but it is largely relevant only to the programmer who is going to use it.  The software world abounds in such interfaces.  The RASDS Service Interface, on the other hand, is intended to be a formally published system interface, where you might expect to see it published in a catalog of services, along with points of contact, operational characteristics, a point of contact, and possibly a cost or contact spec.  The CCSDS SLE / CSTS services are of this nature.  Maybe that “published system interface” is the needed distinction?

Pg 15: Agree that some of the attributes that were listed for the Info Object are really optional (such as Type conversion, Constraint checking) and that these are more likely to be populated in some deployment view that references them by correspondence than they are in a purely Information Viewpoint.  We agreed to attend to this in the document and also clarify it, in general, elsewhere in the document.

Pg 24: We discussed the note that includes reference to Electronic Data Sheets (EDS) and Functional Resource Model (FRM).  It is clear to all that understanding that there are these concrete standards that can be referenced to this VP is useful.  It means that we are providing the necessary methodology and “language” to support these kinds of standards.  That said, we probably do not want to include these references in RASDS, except by way of example.  And while making sure that we do have this needed language for the standards that we hope to be able to support that we will treat this as an informal sort of “checklist” rather than provide a detailed accounting / mapping to the real standards that may use them.

Action Items:

  1.  All: read though the rest of these materials and provide feedback
  2.  Fred/Ramon: review the Physical/Structural VP and Services VP and provide any needed fixes, clarifications, examples, representations
  3.  Costin/Fred: review the Operational VP to provide any needed fixes, clarifications, examples, representations
  4.  All: consider whether the Engineering VP is sufficiently “seminal” to this extended RASDS++ treatment, for SC14 and CCSDS, that we need to add it as a formal VP or if we can just introduce it as a concept and leave it for SC14 to elaborate?
  5.  The next meeting is 12 April 2021.  We expect to exchange materials via email well before this date in order to allow us to meet Fred’s May meeting with SC14.

From: SEA-SA <sea-sa-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org> on behalf of SEA-SA <sea-sa at mailman.ccsds.org>
Reply-To: Peter Shames <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 4:36 PM
To: SEA-SA <sea-sa at mailman.ccsds.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Sea-sa] Reminder - SEA SAWG RASDS meeting on Monday, 8 Mar 2021

Dear SAWG RASDS Participants,

These notices will go out to the whole SEA SAWG mailing list, but we only expect those participants with an interest in the RASDS to attend this series of meetings.  All others, of course, are welcome.

As planned we will have the next monthly, second Monday of the month, working meeting to make progress on the RASDS Task this coming 8 Mar 2021.


  *   Call to order – Peter
  *   Review Agenda, ask for additional topics – Peter
  *   Review the revised PPT file for the current VP set (with agreed extensions)
  *   Review any materials contributed for the new viewpoints

“See” you all then, and thanks in advance for the support.

The files for review, and any added / background materials, will be placed in the CWE at: https://cwe.ccsds.org/sea/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsea%2Fdocs%2FSEA%2DSA%2FDraft%20Documents%2FRASDS%20Revisions%202020&View=%7BA709F322%2D0E67%2D45C7%2D932D%2DCB78C55CE268%7D&&InitialTabId=Ribbon%2EDocument&VisibilityContext=WSSTabPersistence<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/cwe.ccsds.org/sea/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=*2Fsea*2Fdocs*2FSEA*2DSA*2FDraft*20Documents*2FRASDS*20Revisions*202020&View=*7BA709F322*2D0E67*2D45C7*2D932D*2DCB78C55CE268*7D&&InitialTabId=Ribbon*2EDocument&VisibilityContext=WSSTabPersistence__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJQ!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!a_SVsvZretRTgcV2pBqQJMpqZkYZYtGWYdOUMBgkQ5pO_FlhO2a9lhjEoIfBQVRU3PIZawEf$>

We will use this folder as we work up the revisions to this document.


Action items from 8 Feb 21 minutes
=> Next telecon, 8 Mar 2021: Continue to review the updated document titled “311x0m1 Markup 8Feb21”, which is now in the CWE.  The plan is to work through the proposed changes in the chapters, probably in the next 2-3 sessions, and ensure that the annotated document indicates all of the expected changes.
=> Peter will produce the first cut at the revised PPT file for the current VP set (with agreed extensions), by 24 Feb 2021
=> Ramon Krosley will produce the first cut at the new Service VP.  Fred Slane will take the first cut at the new Operations and Physical / Structural VP.
=> Other actions:
Fred Slane will produce a list of SC14 specific references, similar to those currently in the document.
Ramon Krosley will produce a list of current “operations” references that should be migrated to the new Operations VP.  See first cut, attached.
=> Request for the team to familiarize with these background materials, and ideally with the proposed RASDS revision set as well, which is posted in this folder

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/sea-sa/attachments/20210308/f7e2ee70/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: SEA SAWG RASDS Update Views 4Mar21.pptx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation
Size: 3889246 bytes
Desc: SEA SAWG RASDS Update Views 4Mar21.pptx
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/sea-sa/attachments/20210308/f7e2ee70/attachment-0001.pptx>

More information about the SEA-SA mailing list