[Sea-sa] Special Working Meeting: SCCS-ARD discussion - fwd/ret file service

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 13 01:32:48 UTC 2021

This special working meeting is to explore a set of issues that have just some up in the process of tackling the updates to the Space Communication Cross Support (SCCS) Architecture documents (ARD / ADD), the SCCS-ARD, CCSDS 901.1-M-1.

Missions may use (and ESLTs may implement) a forward and return “file service”, that uses TGFT to transfer files from the EUN to the ESLT, along with a CFDP “agent” in the ESLT that does the actual file delivery transfer, using CFDP, over the space link to the Space User Node (SUN, otherwise known as the spacecraft).

This is some sort of “cross support protocol” that belongs in the CSS Area, whether it is in the CSTS WG or the SM WG.  That said, it may also require some sort of “control report” interface to be spliced into the CFDP protocol agent to allow the EUN to be signaled about intermediate CFDP protocol status, along with some sort of “control interface” that will allow the CFDP agent, in the ESLT, to be controlled from the EUN.  And there also must be some means for the EUN to tell the CFDP agent in the ESLT just how to turn that file into CFDP PDUs, link layer PDUs, encapsulate them, and how to merge them into the uplink traffic flow.

There is some real work to be done if we are to create a Forward / Return File Service spec that it truly interoperable and has all these special, and unusual, properties.  There is also the related question of whether this rather narrow standard is a good use of CCSDS resources instead of adopting CFDP over DTN, which has broader applicability and already would provide the same functionality, and much more.

We do not think we can do this in the SEA SAWG, this is work that must be done in the other Areas that “own” the respective sets of standards.  At the same time we see some potential for leveraging work in different areas and integrating it to provide a more unified end-to-end approach, and that is our express goal as we try to help sort this out.

Proposed agenda:

CSS Position on the service

   *   ESLT architecture

   *   CFDP agent integration in the ESLT

   *   CFDP signaling changes

   *   Split data delivery approach

   *   Fwd / ret signaling approach

   *   ESLT control approach for configuring and managing creation / processing of CFDP, encap, frame creation, encode/decode in the ELST

SIS Position on the service

   *   ESLT architecture

   *   DTN agent integration in the ESLT

   *   Split data delivery approach

   *   Fwd / ret signaling approach (if needed)

   *   ESLT control approach for configuring and managing creation / processing of DTN bundles, encap, frame creation, encode/decode in the ELST

   *   CFDP end-to-end flow

Discussion

Thanks, Peter

Hello,

Peter Shames invites you to join this WebEx meeting.

SCCS-ARD discussion - fwd/ret file service

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

7:00 am  |  (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)  |  2 hrs

Meeting number (access code): 199 651 5303

Meeting password: Nm5mpcrZ2r4

Join meeting<https://jpl.webex.com/jpl/j.php?MTID=mda4b7e12e1b6f08131813d6abe9cbeba>

More ways to join:

Join from the meeting link

https://jpl.webex.com/jpl/j.php?MTID=mda4b7e12e1b6f08131813d6abe9cbeba

Join by phone

+1-510-210-8882 USA Toll

+44-203-457-5798 U.K. Toll

Global call-in numbers<https://jpl.webex.com/jpl/globalcallin.php?MTID=m91ef44b98d71197e079bc4e234fbe055>

Toll Free: 844-JPL-WEBX (844-575-9329)

Can't join the meeting?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this Webex service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.