[Sea-sa] As far as I got ...

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 13 19:22:30 UTC 2019

Hi Roger,

Somehow I missed this.  Too much stuff on my plate.

My concern with those 'sections as “future”' is that the way you have proposed to handle them just felt way too obscure.   In the SCCS-ADD & ARD we adopted the approach of marking all standards that were not yet Blue Books, or Magenta Books, as [Future].  In the Sec 1.7 References we only included those documents that had been published and had proper CCSDS pubs number assigned.   In some of the sections where we did include discussions of [Future] protocols we included a table of "Referenced" protocols where we explicitly identified "White Books" and even "White Papers" that were in development, but we included these in the Informative Annex D.  Table 6-2 on pg 6-4 of CCSDS 901x1m1 (attached here) is a good example.  And see [Future} sprinkled liberally throughput the doc.

I have the real concern that not clearly indicating the real status of these in progress, future, or speculative standards is, in effect, hiding the really important bits in the "fine print".  I think we should assiduously avoid that.

I hope you understand where I am coming from.  And, having already been down this path with CESG approval of those aforementioned SCCS docs, I am guessing this will run smack into the same head-winds.  Let's tack off while there is time and avoid all of that.

Ok?

Sorry about the whacks to your template.  I had to have a work-around for that other problem or I would not have been able to get anything done.

Peter