[Sea-sa] Request for SEA-SA review of SOIS / MOIMS analysis document

Shames, Peter M (312B) Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 29 19:45:02 UTC 2018

Hi Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to review and provide these comments.  I also want to state at the outset that I understand that without support to do this you cannot take on more work.  Assuming that the team agrees, my intent is to get to consensus on the needed changes using this Excel spreadsheet approach and then to update the document myself, seeking support and feedback from the combined team.

You question about services and bindings is a really good one and I agree that it appears to be an on-going point of confusion.  CCSDS has tried to address this in RASDS, MO, and SLE (in particular) in the following ways:

object (RASDS 311.0-M-1):
An object is an abstract model of an entity in the real world. It contains information, has behavior, and may offer services. A system is composed of interacting objects. An object is characterized by that which makes it distinct from other objects.

Interface (RASDS 311.0-M-1):
A set of interactions performed by an object for participation with another object for some purpose, along with constraints on how they can occur. An interface is therefore where the behavior of an object is exposed. Objects may have one or more interfaces.

service (RASDS 311.0-M-1):
A service is a provision of an interface of an object to support actions of another object.

Cross support service (RASDS 311.0-M-1):
Cross-support service interfaces are really just the exposed set of interfaces of applications layer Engineering Objects. All application Engineering Objects have interfaces; the ones that are exposed between facilities owned and operated by (the same or) different Enterprises are called cross-support service interfaces.

service interface (MO Ref Model 520.1-M-1):
A set of interactions provided by a component for participation with another component for some purpose, along with constraints on how they can occur. A Service Interface is an external interface of a Service where the behaviour of the Service Provider Component is exposed. Each Service will have one defined ‘Provided Service Interface’, and may have one or more ‘Consumed Service Interface’ and one ‘Management Service Interface’.

abstract service (SLE 910.2-G-1):
A set of capabilities that one abstract-object offers to another by means of one or more of its abstract-ports.

communications service (SLE 912.3-B-2, and others):
A capability that enables an SLE service-providing application entity and an SLE service-using application entity to exchange information.

OSI services (SLE 910.2-G-1):
The capability of an OSI-service-provider to OSI-service-users at the boundary between the OSI-service-provider and the OSI-service-users.

provided service interface (MO Ref Model 520.1-M-1):
A Service Interface that exposes the Service function contained in a component for use by Service Consumers. It receives the MAL messages from a Consumed Service Interface and maps them into API calls on the Provider component.

service access point (RASDS 311.0-M-1):
The point at which (N-layer)-services are provided by an (N-layer)-protocol-entity to an (N+l-layer)-protocol-entity.

service interface (MO Ref Model 520.1-M-1):
A set of interactions provided by a component for participation with another component for some purpose, along with constraints on how they can occur. A Service Interface is an external interface of a Service where the behaviour of the Service Provider Component is exposed. Each Service will have one defined ‘Provided Service Interface’, and may have one or more ‘Consumed Service Interface’ and one ‘Management Service Interface’.

service provider (SLE 910.4-B-2, and others):
An entity that offers a service to another by means of one or more of its ports.

I'm including all of these different, but related, definitions to make a point.  We have been trying really hard to bring a level of consistency to the CCSDS standards and their uses of terms.  I'd say we have only partly succeeded.  One thing to keep in mind is that RASDS was intended to provide as set of (largely abstract) terms that were consistent and could be broadly used.  It also provides a set of defined viewpoints from which systems could be described and addressed how these different views are related.  This kind of precision has not been not always been adhered to across CCSDS, and as a result we get some "leakage" in the definitions and also need to identify for ourselves just which views are being addressed at any given point.  It is also the case that individual standards will often specialize their definitions, we see that in the MAL and SLE definitions.

Depending on where one stands an "interface" may be some software thing (an API), a hardware thing (Ethernet), a protocol thing (TCP/IP & socket), exposed inside a system for local use (software bus) or exposed outside a system (SLE).  I tend to think of interfaces as all of these things and have worked to define a way to model all of these aspects in relationship one to another.  I'm attaching an MBSE paper I jointly wrote about this that was published in INCOSE in 2016.  It carefully (I think) lays out how to model all of these parts in relationship one to another.  The future update to RASDS will add MBSE considerations and reference these materials.

Enough of definitions and pedantics, now to the details that show up in your note.  See below, <<in-line>>.

Thanks, Peter