[Sea-sa] Next telecon planning

Roger Thompson roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 7 13:28:39 UTC 2017

Which is one reason for avoiding mentioning PUS at all.

You are correct that the MOIMS interactions have traditionally been internal to the ground segment, but that as spacecraft become more complex and autonomous, the MOIMS functions are migrating to spacecraft.  Having a set of standardised interactions between those functions that can be deployed across any type of link:  Ground-Ground, Space-Ground, Space-Space (or at least internal to a Spacecraft) is the raison d’être of MO.  You are correct that within Europe, PUS has been used to support this migration in terms of standardised services to support on-board scheduling, etc., but it has limitations (very basic services, mixed layering, dependency on Packets as the only transfer protocol) and it is not globally accepted.  Within CCSDS, it is the MO path that enables this in a way that is not restricted to the Space-Ground link.