[Sea-sa] Final version of SEA report to the CESG & CMC

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 17 18:41:44 UTC 2014

Dear SEA Exec & SA WG,

Please see the attached final version of the System Engineering Area (SEA) viewgraphs as reviewed and agreed by the CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG).  Tomorrow we will show these to the CCSDS Management Council (CMC).  If anything changes I will signal you, but the CESG was good with this version.

Please check the following notes for actions on you and me:

Sec WG

  *   All had issues with changing the Org & Proc to state that draft Charters and documents would be sent to the SecWG for review.  They have a horror of slowing down the process.
  *   All had NO issue with me, as SEA AD, sending you these documents as a part of my review of them, and providing your feedback as part of my review.  So I will do that.

D-DOR

  *   There was some consternation that the D-DOR WG would invent it's own Service Management XML approach.  Before you do that we should consult with the SM WG.
  *   The SM WG is also responsible for the GFT standard.  They are floating a draft of that and there are some notes from one of the members that I will pass along.  Please review this approach and provide any feedback you can on what your particular rquirements are for RDEF transfers.

TDE BoF

  *   There was quite a bit of discussion about the TDE BoF, but in the end I think that the concept of doing it as an Orange Book may pass review.  The CESG recognizes that an Orange Book carries no formal weight, and that it is just a CCSDS experimental spec.
  *   Please make a plan to do the work to create a draft spec.  I will work with you on the exact form it should take.
  *   I will edit the charter and draft a resolution asking to create a WG with just that OB as a product.
  *   Some of the discussion had to do with the use of certain terms, like "timeline" itself.  It appears that ESA uses the word "timeline" to mean a command uplink stream. We'll have to deal with how to disambiguate these terms.

System Architecture WG (SAWG)

  *   There was quite a bit of discussion about the SAWG re-start as well, but overall there was also quite a lot of support.  I think enough of the WG have run into glossary and terminology problems that they are ready to see this tackled.  The ECSS acceptance of this issue cannot have hurt either.  And the CMC request for a "CCSDS Reference Architecture" is a strong incentive.
  *   The agreement is to first create the "cartoon" version of the CCSDS Reference Architecture, using the RASDS and SCCS-ADD models that are already in hand and adding the pieces for MOIMS and SOIS.  I did a rough cut to sketch these on pgs 9-11.  Soing a more complete "sketch" in this style should not take too much time, but it will need to be vetted with the other WG and that may be time consuming, especially where unexplored interfaces are involved.
  *   There is pretty total agreement that what we really need is a SysML/UML CCSDS Reference Model that can actually be manipulated and updated.  That is a lot more work and it should only be done after the RASDS SysML/ UML work has been done, so I would defer it.
  *   I have put a WAG estimate of real work months on Pg 8, please take a look and tell me if I am crazy.
  *   They all agreed that the ontology had to be done next, that we need to get our terms sorted out.  There was a stated opinion that doing this work would be 3-4 man years.  I think it could stretech that long if we try to do everything, but I want to first limit the scope to the core concepts, built upon RASDS and QUDV, to extend that out to include the most fundamntal CCSDS standards, link and cross support, and only when that is done add on a domain extensions.  SOIS is the obvious domain extension because they are already developing a domain ontology.  We'll provide the other domains with a concept framework and process that we can help them work through.
  *   Some of the XML work can also proceed in parallel, as Mike A has proposed.  He suggested doing first an XML validator that would check both structure AND content of the existing schema.  He thinks that can be done pretty quickly using available tools.  We can leverage that to extract terms from the schema and rack them up against the ontology.
  *   A next step is to carve out of the existing schema the common / core elements and to put them in their own namespaces that can be referenced.  We can do this by creating new evaluation versions of the schema and see if they produce the same results and validation.  One tool builds on another.  The last step is the more radical one of aligning terminology.  I think we may need to build in some alias matching as well, but I am no XML expert.

XML SIG

  *   I'll send the revised RFC & Policy docs to Marc Blanchet, he will edit them and send then back to me to be sent into the CCSDS system for approval.  The CESG wants to get this done so they will help.
  *   The CESG will review and approve, then we send them to the CMC and off to the IETF.  There is no expectation of any issues, but you never know.

SANA

  *   The CESG likes that the programmatic interface is available, but wants to tell people how to access and use it.
  *   Please put a description on the SANA website of the programmatic interface and mak it visible, even if it is marked "TEST" or "EVALUATION".

SEA Resolutions

  *   Please look at pg 15 and see if there is anything you wish to have re-stated in these resolutions.  I will tick my way through them as soon as I have all the necessary inputs.

Thanks for all the support during the meetings.  Now the hard work starts, and we really need to make progress.  I'd really like some good progress to report first week in Feb at the next CESG telecon.

And by the way, I sent this email to the SEA Exec (WG chairs) and also to those who actively supported the SAWG discussions during the week.  If you are not on the SAWG mailing list and wish to be added go to: