[SEA-exec] URGENT: SEA Area: Goals / Projects needed in the Project Framework for your WGs

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 3 16:50:58 UTC 2014

Dear SEA Exec,

We are being asked by the CMC to do three things:

  1.  Update the area goals (I'll do that)
  2.  Update the current projects and schedules (each WG chair must do that)
  3.  Add new future projects (you must do this as well)

The following message shows what Nestor's assessment is of the specific issues.  Please deal with them this week.

For the future projects my request is that you insert into the Project set any of the projects that you have been discussing in the WG, even if they are still in a very loose, formative, stage.  I know that it is often hard, when you are doing all you can now to get current projects done, to think about future work.  But be aware that the CMC has been asking what this future work looks like.  And they are asking if, when the current projects are done, that the WG will close.  It is certainly possible that that may happen, especially if the work you forecasted is complete.

There is no need to keep a WG going if it has done what it set out to do.  Note that we closed the SEA System Architecture WG (SAWG) when its work on RASDS was completed.  Also note that the CCSDS requirement that standards be reviewed and "refreshed" every five years might mean that WG gets restarted.  We are about to do that with the SAWG to refresh RASDS.

I know that this is added work, but please take an hour of your WG scheduled sessions to brainstorm and describe those future projects that make sense.  Then put them into the framework.

Thanks, Peter