[MOIMS] SC14: Common Data Format for Collision Avoidance

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Sun Nov 7 15:11:42 UTC 2004

Please review this and we discuss the potential liaison in our Plenary on 18th
Nov 2004.

ciao
nestor

|--------+----------------------------->
|        |          "Adrian J. Hooke"  |
|        |          <adrian.j.hooke at jpl|
|        |          .nasa.gov>         |
|        |                             |
|        |          04/11/2004 23:03   |
|        |                             |
|--------+----------------------------->
  |       To:     Nestor Peccia <nestor.peccia at esa.int>                        |
  |       cc:     peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov, adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov       |
  |       Subject:     SC14: Common Data Format for Collision Avoidance        |

Nestor: ISO/TC20/SC14 has embarked on a new project to develop a "Common Data
Format for Collision Avoidance". Could you please review the outline below and
indicate if you think that one or more WGs (e.g., Information Packaging and
Registries?) in your MOIMS Area in SC13 should establish a liaison with this
activity in order to help them with the information technology aspects?

Best regards
Adrian

                Conjunction Assessment Data and Information Exchange
                     Common Data Format for Collision Avoidance

     The objective of this standard is to enable exchange of information and
     data so that parties affected by potential encounters among spacecraft can
     confirm and refine collision predictions and develop mutually satisfactory
     maneuvers or other mitigations.

     When a spacecraft operator perceives a potential collision with another
     object, either the following information shall be provided to other
     operators or stakeholders involved or affected by outcomes or justification
     for disregarding some data elements because it can be demonstrated that
     they do not affect the current collision estimate.

        1.      Orbital data that supports the assessment of the potential
          collision:
             1.      Source of the data
             2.      Measurement and process uncertainties associated with the
               data
             3.      Either direct observational data in engineering units from
               which orbit estimates can be derived? or ? two line element sets
               and associated covariances ? or ? state vectors and direction
               cosines
             4.      Spatial and temporal reference frame in which the data
               reside, including specific release or version of that standard
               reference frame.
        2.      Physical models or simulations with which that data was employed
          to predict the potential collision
             1.      Geopotential approximation
             2.      Perturbations and the manner in which they are included in
               propagated states including:  atmospheric drag, ocean and central
               body mass distribution variations (tides), radiative momentum
               transfer (light pressure, etc.), multi-body effects, ?
             3.      Atmospheric and space environmental models and
               approximations, including source and release or version.
             4.      Orbit estimation and propagation technique (Kalman filter,
               least squares, etc.)
             5.      Interoperable computer code that incorporates these
               matters, if possible.
        3.      Numerical and computational information necessary to reproduce
          results
             1.      Temporal and/or spatial computational step size.
             2.      Integration and differencing scheme.
        4.      Practices and Procedures through which data, models, and
          numerics were employed to produce the collision estimate.

     The formats for these elements of information is as follows:

     I.                 Data Source
     a.      Location
                                                         i.     Latitude and
     Longitude (Re: WGS 84, degrees/min/sec/thousandths of seconds)
                                                       ii.     Altitude (to
     decimeter level)
     b.     Sensor Characteristics
                                                         i.     Sensor Type
     (angles/range or angles only)
                                                       ii.     Sensor Resolution
     (range and angular precision and method by which such were determined)
     II.               Measurement and Process Uncertainties
     a.      Sensor measurement uncertainties (precision)
     b.     Data acquisition uncertainties (sensor sentivities, data processing,
     and recording imprecision)
     III.             Spatial and Temporal Reference Frame
     a.      Standard Definition (ECF, ECEF, TEME, etc.)
     b.     IERS or equivalent Earth reference motion description
     IV.            Geopotential/Force Model
     a.      General description (Two body, J2000, J2, J4, etc.)
     b.     Order of approximation
     c.      Numerical precision for embodied mathematical functions
     V.              Perturbations
     a.      Atmospheric Drag
                                                         i.     Object drag
     characteristics and assumptions (Cd)
     b.     Tides
                                                         i.     Ocean Tidal
     Effects
                                                       ii.     Earth tide
     effects
     c.      Radiation Pressure
                                                         i.     Momentum
     transfer model
                                                       ii.
     Emissivity/Absorptivity/Scattering Model
                                                     iii.     Incident radiation
     description
     1.     Direct Solar Radiation
     2.     Indirect Reflected radiation/Earth Albedo/etc.
     d.     Multi-Body Effects
                                                         i.     Lunar/Solar/and
     Planetary forces included
     VI.            Atmospheric Models
     a.      General Description (Jacccia, etc.)
     b.     Data/Model release date or version.
     VII.          Orbit estimation and Propagation Approach
     a.      General Description (Kalman Filter, Least Squares, analytical,
     etc.)
     b.     Specific Essential Details (Update interval, state variables, etc.)
     VIII.        Numerical and Computational Information
     a.      Operating system (version)
     b.     Integration technique (Gauss-Jackson, etc.) and order of
     approximation.
     IX.            Practices and procedures
     a.      Data and unit conversions
     b.     Data storage and manipulation which might affect numerical precision
     c.      Narrative discussion of the approach to developing the collision
     estimate.

     Any of the above may be provided by reference to standard, widely available
     sources, such as texts, ISO standards, archive technical literature, or
     similar sources.  Any of the above which are recurring or configuration
     controlled may be submitted or archived where available to stakeholders and
     need not be refreshed or resubmitted unless there are changes.