[Moims-sc] Congratulations - Finally the CCSDS 522.1-R-4, Mission Operations Monitor & Control Services got approved by the CESG

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Fri Sep 15 12:47:56 UTC 2017

Congratulations to everybody
MOIMS AD APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY
MOIMS DAD APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY
SIS AD APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY
SLS AD ABSTAIN
SOIS AD APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY
CSS AD APPROVE UNCONDITIONALLY
Following is commentary only. This is not a condition.
The test report is impressive in its thoroughness and, from a strictly
technical point of view, appears to be quite complete. But it is done
strictly in the abstract. From the test report, just to quote a somewhat
random sampling, there are statements along the lines of:
Forces preCheck to return false, then checks that preCheck returns false
that attempting to change an argument's raw unit value is successful
While it is noted that it is very good to have all of the logic checks
called out, this logic is strictly in the abstract, and therefore no
demonstration of this logic against real world mission operation
scenarios. As there is no such demonstartion there is then a lack of
check/assurance that the logic is in fact not "empty". I suspect it is
not.  Mapping the abstract service via prototype testing to some real
world mission operation scenarios would, I think, hlep the working group
to make the recommendation more compelling and thereby help to foster
adoption for real world missions.
To further illustrate this, consider a mission launch scenario, or an
orbit insertion, or entry descent and landing. In addition, consider some
sort of on-board fault detection.  I believe multiple of our member
agencies have had to deal with these kind of scenarios and exercise
spacecraft recovery as a result of on-board fault detection etc.  It would
be interesting to see the services of the recommendation applied against
such real-world scenarios and demonstrated as to how they (the scenarios)
could be accommodated in a standardized fashion.