[Moims-sc] CCSDS MO Services concept got space qualified today!

Mehran.Sarkarati at esa.int Mehran.Sarkarati at esa.int
Thu Aug 7 19:16:20 UTC 2014

Dear MO-ers,

We have just finished successfully the ESA METERON OPSCOM-2 experiment.
During the experiment ESA astronaut Alex Gerst "drove" from the ISS the
European Ground Prototype Rover (also called Eurobot) on the ground at
ESTEC, deployed and stowed its robotic arm and took images.
On the ground the METERON operation teams at ESOC, BUSOC and ESTEC
monitored the operations and performed coordinated joint commanding, using
the METERON Operations Environment (MOE), deployed in three geographically
separated centres.

Beside being a milestone for the METERON project and for Robotic
Operations, today's successful OPSCOM-2 experiment is also a milestone for
our CCSDS MO Services.

MOE external interfaces have been based on MO services, including standard
MO M&C services (e.g. Action, Activity and Parameter Services) as well as
proprietary precursor MO robotic services (e.g. Motion Control, Imaging,
Manipulation, Command Authority Coordination and File Management
Services).
The same MO services were also deployed on the METERON laptop on the ISS
as part of the software used by Alex to control the rover.

That is why with todays operations, we can say MO services concept has
been validated operationally over the space to ground link.

At implementation level, the METERON Robotic Services, did not use the MAL
APIs but have been implemented as web services. The implementation was
however based to a large extent on the MAL, COM and MO service specs. The
messages were encoded in binary (FastInfoset encoding) and transferred
over DTN.

One particular aspect, which may be worth mentioning is that the
deployment architecture incorporated the concept of service proxy and the
PUB-SUB pattern was adopted over the space link and on the ground
successfully. Also we demonstrated that the exact same services were
consumed at run-time via two different transport protocols (with two
different encodings) on the ground and over the space link.

So, I guess now we can all say the MO Services concept is space qualified
and I trust this will help in increasing the TRL.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you wish any detailed
information.

Kind Regards
Mehran