[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] FW: [EXTERNAL] RE: "Shall", "Must", "Should", "May" Quandary With Respect to Informative Annexes

Berry, David S (US 3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 23 16:21:49 UTC 2021

To All (especially Lead Editors):

This is a bit of an esoteric topic, but I think it's worth a quick read. Start with my message at the bottom.

David

From: Thomas Gannett <thomas.gannett at tgannett.net>
Date: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7:56 AM
To: David Berry <david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: "Shall", "Must", "Should", "May" Quandary With Respect to Informative Annexes

David:

The disclaimer note in section 1 (“these conventions do not imply constraints. . . .”) indeed makes it not really necessary to worry about diction in something clearly identified as being informative. Generally try to update such terminology anyway if the opportunity presents itself, but I don’t worry too much about it.

Tom

Logothete, L.L.C.
thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
+1 443 472 0805